Monday, November 24, 2008

Makeoverz? ur doin it wrong

As a working stiff, I don't ever actually get to watch the Today Show, and now I'm glad. One of my favorite things in the world (yes, I'm a complicated feminist being) is a good makeover. It's an imaginative act -- a new haircut, new clothes, a new look. And when done well has internal and external implications. Seize your personal power! Communicate who you are on the inside via your outsides? Wear clothes that fit, damnit!

Plus, if you do it right, you get to hang out with Stacey and Clinton or, dare I say it? Tim Gunn. (Cue angel choir.)

On the other hand, there's the aptly named "Ambush!" feature on the Today Show. In which they take beautiful women who might need a bit of a haircut -- and ugly them up with bad dye jobs and extreme pancake foundation. Cause you know what you want out of a makeover? A frosted, unflattering look that makes you look twenty years older than you are.

Judge for yourself, kids. I'm off to corral Nick Arrojo and Carmondy for an intervention.

1 Comments:

Blogger tanita✿davis said...

Oh, there was some cable show called... Ambush Makeover or Surprise Makeover or Emergency Makeover or some word with an indecent amount of urgency and not nearly enough thought and careful consideration, English blokes and good lighting. I've *never* thought studio shows had good makeovers; it has to be the lighting, in part, but nobody EVER looks good on The Today Show. Ever.

I have to say I miss Nick and Carmondy. I even miss Trinny and Susannah, someone else is doing their show here now. And they're off belittling the British public with specials instead of a regular show. Oh, well.

Oh, my gosh. I just looked at some of these. Everybody looks freakin old.

Mon Nov 24, 04:09:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home