Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Damnit! Have we lost another one?

I'd read reports recently about one of my perennial favorites, Janeane Garofalo, acting bizarrely on the streets of New York, looking strangely thin and blonde. And I admit I was worried. From interviews, I knew that she was vulnerable to the pressures of Hollywood, the imperative to mold your body and spirit to a stunted, repetitive ideal that involves a lot of hair bleach, exposed collarbone, and minimal lipping off. I thought, Janeane, do I really have to watch you become Brittney Murphy?

I wanted to take her aside and say, Janeane, darling, have I told you lately that The Matchmaker is one of my favorite movies evah, seriously, evah? No, really, I just made Tea watch it with me a couple of months ago. And that you are one of two reasons (Steve Zahn, you know you're the other) that I will sit through even ten minutes of Reality Bites, gritting my teeth and biting my tongue on all the instinctive Winona-hate I have to endure to do so? Have I told you that there are so many of us out there who love you with your dark hair and your short bangs and your normal weight and your barbed and charming wit?

Clearly this is a conversation I should have had with her. And now it may be too late.

Janeane Garofalo has been -- sob! -- heard praising a Scientology project, in chorus with -- no, no, no! -- Leah Rimini. Next up: Janeane will be seen holding hands with Kelly Preston.

This is what comes of focusing too much on the lost cause that is Katie Holmes. They distract us with that puppet show and steal our loved ones right out from under our noses. Pirates! Brigands! Thieves!

5 Comments:

Blogger LLA said...

Please, oh please tell me that this is some sort of bizarre "May-Fools" type of post!

Otherwise, I am terrified..... a blonde, waifish Janeane Garofalo? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse???

Tue May 02, 04:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Seren said...

I wish I were kidding. I agree -- along with a constellation of other portents, this bodes ill on a cosmic level.

Wed May 03, 01:17:00 PM EDT  
Blogger LLA said...

You know - the Gilmore Girls was another really good episode last night. Again, something of an anomaly as of late....

There are disquieting stirrings afoot for sure......

Wed May 03, 09:02:00 PM EDT  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

Tuesday's episode of GG was written by ASP and DP, which means they can pull great stuff of our their asses when they want to. But I know the quality of the episode has nothing to do with the recent exit of ASP and DP because the episode was written at least three months ago and filmed at least one month ago.

Thu May 04, 10:10:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tea said...

Can we get back to the topic at hand, people! Janeane Garofalo a skinny blond? That makes me so very deeply sad I cannot tell you. I had thought there was some hope . . .

Sat May 06, 02:26:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home