Monday, March 13, 2006

We were just talking about her today

At a celebratory luncheon at work today, two writers reminisced about growing up watching Maureen Stapleton on the big screen. I, too, grew up with Maureen Stapleton, even though I'm told I'm too young to know her. To me, she will always be the "Electric Grandmother" who was brought to life by a giant brass key that you had to insert in her belly button. I remember this movie vividly because every time we watched this movie on TV, my mother would say, "Look how appreciative those kids are to Maureen Stapleton! Lucky for them she won't die! You kids should be more appreciative of me! And you better show me that appreciation before I die!"

Well, today the Electric Grandmother, sadly, has passed on. But luckily, my mother is in fine health and will probably live to the ripe old age of 110.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1719309

9 Comments:

Blogger Seren said...

If ever I doubted that we were separated at birth, this post would clear that up. "Electric Grandmother"? Word. I say, word.

Mon Mar 13, 07:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger Seren said...

And by "we" I mean "Seren and MeiMei," not "Seren and Maureen Stapleton," but of course I only say that because I never really got the chance to know her.

Mon Mar 13, 07:04:00 PM EST  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

So...are you saying the pain in my stomach is OUR twin sister clawing her way out?

Mon Mar 13, 10:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

Okay, here's more strange stuff: The movie "Electric Grandmother" is based on the short story "I Sing the Body Electric" by Ray Bradbury. Not only do Seren and I love this movie (independdently) but I also work with Ray Bradbury's daughter.

Mon Mar 13, 10:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger Seren said...

Freaky! Have you read the short story? I haven't read it for years, but I remember only the awesomest.

And, yes, clearly, OUR twin.

Tue Mar 14, 01:03:00 AM EST  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

Don't you love when the only comments to our posts are ours? ha.

Tue Mar 14, 05:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Seren said...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Tue Mar 14, 07:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

I was thinking today we should offer a podcast. How awesome would that be? Us. Live. Commenting on all things mean and catty.

Tue Mar 14, 11:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger Seren said...

Hee. How funny would that be? Like, we should record our next phone call, and edit out the incriminating bits about our actual lives (i.e., the bits about Jake).

It'd be downloaded at least twice. Once by you and once by me. But still. Hee!

Wed Mar 15, 01:32:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home