Saturday, March 04, 2006

But aren't there still old TV shows left to adapt?

Newsweek is alleging that Brokeback Mountain is trailblazing in more than one way: Hollywood's buying up more short stories than cowboy shirts.

I think the short story writer in me should be giddy about this (Harvey Weinstein, call me!), but the snarker in me is too busy rolling her eyes at the article's flaws, enumerated thusly:

1) The article has one source. Someone from McSweeney's (who maybe I should recognize? if I could get past my Eggers Avoidance, I might know about?). How many times do I have to say this? Just because McSweeney's says something is true, it does not make it so.

2) How do you write an article about adapting short stories to movies -- and not once mention Stand by Me?

3) Is this trend new or is it old? Because the article's all, It's new! It's hip! It's the Ugg boots of buying frenzies! And then it talks about movies made in the 30s. (Which is worth it because -- Bringing Up Baby was based on a short story? Fun fact!) But still, I can't help thinking that articles like this one are why Americans have no sense of history.

What was I just saying?

Exactly.

2 Comments:

Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

And what about "Secretary" by Mary Gaitskills or "In the Bedroom" by Todd Field? Both were recognized by Golden Globe and the Academy. Again, this proves how lame McSweeny's writers are.

Sun Mar 05, 02:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Tea said...

"It's the Ugg boots of buying frenzies!"

You are the funniest person I know. I LOVE this!

And on the subject, what was up with that whole Ugg thing anyway? Ugg-ly!

Mon Mar 20, 12:03:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home