Thursday, October 20, 2005

A bag's a bag...or is it

This is for our Gilmore Girls fans:

This week, Logan presented Rory with her very own Birkin bag, which inspired envy and awe in Emily. "Imagine, a 21-year-old girl with a Birkin and me a grown woman without one." Imagine, indeed! I like to watch GG not just for the snappy dialogue or the nuanced acting of Lauren Graham or even the amazing chemistry between Graham and Kelly Bishop (who in my mind are the real Gilmore Girls with Rory as a pale shadow) but because I like to feel superior and snobby, esp. when GG messes up their East Coast cultural references. For example, the "Life and Death Brigade"? As a Seven Sister alumna who's dated men from Ivy League universities, let me tell you, boys like Logan, Finn and their other pseudo-British friends would be laughed out of frosh orientation, no matter how much money they had. When I saw the Birkin bag last week, I wasn't surprised to see GG mess up again. I laughed aloud and said, "That's a Hermes bag, not a Birkin!"

Alas, this time the joke's on me. Birkin is not its own designer label. Birkin is a type of Hermes bag, the very style that I've actually been coveting myself ever since I saw it hanging smartly from my mother's right arm.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/offtherails/20041027section1.html

Drats!

3 Comments:

Blogger Seren said...

The righteous indignation was only maybe 50% wrong, then, yes? Which is really a higher percentage of rightness than most righteous indignation usually contains? So -- no foul, then.

Thu Oct 20, 01:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger tanita✿davis said...

Seren, you totally make that work! If the writing career gets boring, please consider becoming a defense attorney!

Fri Oct 21, 01:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

Does it make me a bad person or just Emily Gilmore to want a Birkin? I think I would like it in a warm yellow/brown instead of pink. And LV is so overah. :P

Fri Oct 21, 01:34:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home