Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Shout-out to the YAers in the audience

Okay, so, I know it's Lifetime. In case I'd forgotten how bad a Lifetime movie can be, I recently watched that thing with Jami Gertz (because, c'mon, Jami Gertz). Was the script puerile and obviously written by committee? Yes. Did the acting make my cat look like a thespian? Yes. Was it called Fighting the Odds, and should I have been duly warned how steep those odds were going to be? Yes. Did I nevertheless watch the whole thing from beginning to -- okay, from middle to end, since I came on it when I was flipping through channels? Yes, I did.

Regardless of how damaged my credibility now is, I'm going to recommend optimism (please see www.dictionary.com if you're confused; lord knows, I had to look it up) regarding the following:

Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak has been adapted and will be showing on Lifetime on September 5.

http://lifetimetv.com/movies/info/move3705.html

Melinda will be played by Kristen Stewart, who also played Jodie Foster's daughter in Panic Room. Did you see her diabetic near-coma? C'mon, it was awesome.

4 Comments:

Blogger tanita✿davis said...

Oh wow. Oh wow.
I'm torn. Is it "Must See TV" because it's so hideous that I don't dare miss? Or, is it just that I can't help but support a fellow YA writer's hope of being immortalized enough to forsake any risk of coherent screenwriting, sigh through endless tampon commercials and writhe at the end-of-the-show earnest "we're not being actors now" PSA about how girls need to "speak" about abuse in their lives?

"Alex, I'll take Optimism for $5000."

Once you've made Lifetime Movie of the Week your fame is so assured...

Thanks for the...warning? I'll be sure and mock, er, uh, watch...

...optimism. Gotta remember that...

Wed Aug 31, 01:17:00 AM EDT  
Blogger MeiMeiLn said...

I'm with Tadmack ... I'm afraid to see what Lifetime will do with "Speak" because we all know how crediable their movies are. (eyeroll) Remember, there's a reason Lifetime movies are the best thing on a rainy Sunday afternoon and you're sick with the flu. :)

Also, Seren, I'm sorry, but Jamie Gertz is spelled Jami. You know why I'm so protective of this name and its various spellings. :)

Wed Aug 31, 10:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Seren said...

My apologies on the misspelling! I'm so correcting it. How foolish of me to rely on my faulty memory. (She's not as important to me as Gyllenhaal, I'm afraid.)

XO

Seran ;)

Wed Aug 31, 11:48:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sarah Stevenson said...

Oh, thank the TV gods there's a repeat on Tuesday. I'll have to at least attempt to watch it. After all, I did stoop so low as to watch an episode of "Date My Mom" last week. (Which you can read a tiny bit about on aquafortis).

Sat Sep 10, 03:21:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home