Tuesday, August 30, 2005

C'mon now ...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1063448&page=1

A doctor in New Hampshire landed in hot water for telling his patient she was fat. Okay, I understand that's not the nicest term. Doc could have found a diplomatic way to tell his patient that if she didn't lose a few pounds, she would develop serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease. But seriously? That lady needs to get over herself. So he called you fat. It's the truth. And it's probably not the first time someone has called you that. Names hurt. But if you can be healthy and live longer, why not try it? No one said you had to be Kate Moss. (Not that anyone wants to be Kate Moss...)

3 Comments:

Blogger Seren said...

Yeah, I'd theorize (theorize only, mind you -- for proof, look to such illustrious publications as the Star) that the Kate Moss diet is one part asparagus to two parts cocaine. Trim, yes. Healthy, not so much.

I do see how the offended patient could get riled though. Sometimes, doctors can be eeediots about talking to you about your health. I know I've fumed after more than one appointment.

Tue Aug 30, 11:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger tanita✿davis said...

I've just changed doctors. So much less wear'n'tear on the old Zen ...

Actually, hearing the word 'fat' from a healthcare practitioner for a woman can be bad news. A lot of doctors (sadly male AND female) have misdiagnosed serious ailments because they've just chalked any complaints up to "well, if you'd just lose a bit of weight..." So, there's yin and then there's yang on that one. From the vantage point of just having dropped a few Oprah-like wagon-loads myself, I'd rather see the truth by myself in a room with a mirror than have anyone tell me what I already know... but if it's the difference between life and death, bring on the truth, baby.

Tue Aug 30, 06:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kevin Lauer said...

Amen. Can you say "frivolous lawsuit?" But then again, some moron SUCCESSFULLY sued McDonald's some time ago for because their coffee was too hot. Makes you wonder if the judges are even ditzier than the plaintiffs.

Wed Sep 07, 05:38:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home